Friday, April 29, 2011

Deep Thoughts, by Jack Povondra

Tonight Jack saw a horse-drawn carriage downtown and he asked me about it before he went to bed. I asked him if he wanted to ride in one, and he said he's been wanting to for years. Ever since he was in my tummy.

A few minutes later he asked me what he should be when he grows up. I asked him what he wanted to be, and he said, "I don't know. There's a hundred choices." He (surprisingly) said he did not want to be a fireman. When I asked him why, he said it was because they have to go into houses that are on fire and that's scary.

A DJ on the radio the other day said it was going to be very windy and not humid, so Austin was on high-alert for brush fires. Jack was thinking about that quite a bit and asked me to explain. I told him that if a fire starts, a strong wind can make it spread. The next night as he was going to bed, he asked me about it again. When I gave him the same response, he said, "but when we light birthday candles and it's windy out, the fire goes out--it doesn't spread." Man, he's a thinker, that one...